Sunday, August 24, 2008

My first mistake was amateur...


I admit, my first mistake was an amateur one to be sure. I bought two heads of lettuce. While this doesn't sound like a catastrophe of epic proportions, it is a mistake that was common last year and caused me to waste a LOT of food. I just didn't realize how big heads of red leaf lettuce are! (I am trying to change my ways - I used to buy pre-packed, washed lettuce)

The solution?... I need to remember to go with less and remember that Schnucks, the equivalent to Safeway, is just a short bicycle ride away. Next time I will buy fewer bananas and just one large head of lettuce - because while losing $.75 per head of wasted lettuce doesn't seem like a big deal, it can add up quickly.

My second mistake was equally disappointing... I breaded the chicken wrong. The last time I was in San Diego my grandmother made delicious chicken. When I asked her how she did it she said she put a little milk on it and flour and baked it at 350 F for 40 or 50 minutes. I tried to repeat this last night, but failed to recall that her chicken had skin while mine was skinless... and while my chicken remained moist, the breading was unfortunately soggy and icky. Next time: a little crushed cereal or oatmeal. (Or buy chicken breasts with the skin still on)

The good news: my immediate mistakes are not immensely discouraging. I see myself cooking a lot more this semester solely because I like knowing what I am eating, and eating what I like. Plus, being able to feed and satisfy yourself is just a good skill to have...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So your chicken was not that bad. I enjoyed it. Also, here is the recipe I was telling you about. It's delicious and if you divide the recipe by 4, it's the perfect amount to coat 1 chicken breast.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/oven-baked-fried-chicken-recipe/index.html